Friday, November 12, 2010

November 3 & 4

Wednesday it was back to Moshono. Today was the day I'd been waiting for, the students would be getting their booklets about BIA today and be able to ask any final questions about any of the material they've learned so far. I know it sounds awful to say, but I'm glad we're done training this group--working with this crowd has pretty much killed my volunteer spirit. After being in the classroom and realizing our answers weren't going to be of any use, we decided to take a walk and see what exactly was in Moshono. There is a set of old railroad tracks that runs right behind the school and we decided to take a walk and follow it for a bit. The area around this railroad track looked very rural and undeveloped, however as we walked there is an enormous flower farm here in Moshono as well as a huge lodge hidden in the hills, where we asked one boy pushing a wheelbarrow what the deal was with that, and he told us its a fancy lodge and spa where wazungu stay. There is also mining for minerals done in the area--we aren't far from where Tanzanite is commonly mined.

The walk down the railroad pretty much ended when we realized the tracks crossed a bridge that was almost too unsafe for our passing. So we crossed a small wooden bridge that led down to a river. There were some mamas washing laundry and bathing children. As we sat, we noticed there was a well organized concrete irrigation system that was in place to prevent the water from eroding the soil supporting the bridge. I even got a great video of a mama crossing the river with a bunch of plantains on her head. It was a great sight, and a real last minute treat to a real Tanzanian village right before I left. The day was fairly unproductive after that, we made it back to town and had lunch. I was pretty sure it was my last day at Montessori Infinity since tomorrow I'd planned on going to safari. It was a good feeling.

When we got back to the office, we planned on going to a hearing for the UN Tribunal for Rwanda. We had to arrive an hour before the hearing began and bring our passports for identification. Apparently, the guards must have thought we were employees or something, since he did not tell us where exactly to go and we wandered around the atrium of the building looking for signage which told us where the courtroom was. We had to go back to ask for instructions, but by then the security guard had become so consumed with French tourists explaining to them what the passport was for, that time flew and we were fed up and off to get drinks at the Maasai Cafe once more. It was nice to finally go inside of the Tribunal--to see so many kinds of professionals, well dressed and serving important jobs. We'd heard most are lawyers, other reporters, and a good number are translators! I wished aloud to be able to work here; I love Arusha, I love Tanzania and a job working for the United Nations must be pretty sweet. The others disagreed, they could use a job in a more developed region of the world, but the visit alone was like career day back in elementary school.

Thursday I got up at about 5, was on the dala at 6 a.m. (and it was packed, I've never been up that early in town) to be at HQ at 7 a.m. where we were to meet our safari driver. It was an awesome 3 hour drive to Lake Manyara national park--but it was worth it. One more look at the dry savannah, home to the Maasai bomas and occasional passing herds of 50 cows and sheep. I really will miss this scenery, I could never get tired of looking at this landscape. I was able to see elephants, hippos, lots of giraffes and some monkeys. I got some great shots, and just fell in love with the elephants--there was a group only several feet of the car and one even walked right in front of the jeep!

After the safari I met a friend at her hotel for drinks and nachos (why didn't I come here for food before, really nachos? That were actually delicious?). It was getting dark and I had to take a taxi home, and I was fairly proud of myself for getting a good price and giving the directions in Swahili. It made me a bit sad, too because I've felt like I've learned so much from being here. I almost wished I was staying the one extra month.

Tomorrow is my last day in Tanzania! And there may be waterworks! I haven't even thought of how I am going to say goodbye to Mama Mary and the girls (its only been two weeks with them, but still!), how I will say goodbye to everyone at HQ. I haven't even really begun to think about Cambodia, but I am sure I'll be terrified tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment