Saturday, September 25, 2010

September 15

What an incredibly long day! This morning, was busy packing to leave the hostel to meet the host family this afternoon! We took a dala to Terengeru to visit the demonstration plot where we saw in action some of the farming techniques we'd be teaching next week. There were so many vegetables and plants growing, and so many combinations together on one bed, or growing together in one section of the garden.
Actually getting to Terengeru was one of the strangest things I'd ever experienced. I'm beginning to hate being constantly called 'mzungu' or white person every time I walk down the street, or when I'm in a shop and someone notices a foreigner's inside. And you can't imagine how funny it is that people here think I'm rich!!

Besides the unusual culutral differences, and getting over my big issue with personal space on the dala, we headed to the office of William Rile, an instructor with GSC who would be giving us a basic training about BIA and some practice lessons we would take with us next week when we go to Longido!! My allergies almost hindered my understanding of the material, but I got a crash course on gardening and sustainable growing of vegetables. I'm so nervous at the thought of having to teach this to a group of farmers as early as Monday!! Aaaack!!

I'm sure my dad will get a kick out of that, me teaching Africans how to farm-after 20 years of city life versus their thousands of years of pastoralism and farming.  Anywho, I have to study the strata of compost layers, and the right temperatures for compost and whatever because I have to be prepared when they ask questions.

Lunch was quite interesting because we ate at the home of a local woman who works on the demo plot, Mary. She lives in a small shack with two separate bedrooms and one outdoor cooking area. I couldnt find the outhouse, so I dont know if there was an area for bathing or whatever. We ate on a folding card table with some of us sitting on her bed and the others sitting on a couch eating mkande (stew of hominy or corn and beans) and sauteed chinese cabbage. Besides the digs in which we had to eat, the food was great and Mary is really quite a host.

After that amazing lesson, we took the dala back to Arusha for one more Swahili lesson. Nope, still can't speak Swahili. The ultimate test of my ability to endure a third world country--meeting my homestay mama!! At the hostel, we were given a slip of paper with our mama's name on it, mine was the former mama of the head volunteer coordinator, which made me feel good like I was in good hands. Mama Elly drove me to her home, which is pretty amazing even compared to where I live in New York! Its a pretty cute little cottage right up from this super long dirt road, with many roosters and chickens kind of hanging out all over the road. I have my own room with a HUGE full sized bed, and a mega walk in closet. Plus, I know I'm going to be really comfortable, the food is delicious and everyone is super nice. I have nothing bad to say about these people. Mama Elly was pretty excited and happy that I had no complaints about the food, nor that I'm not a vegetarian because the food is so similar to Dominican food (rice and beans and plantains every night!!) Most amazingly, Mt. Meru is right outside my window!!

Tomorrow its back to Terengeru to continue learning and also to dig a double dug bed. I'm pretty nervous about it, I dont know how I'll hold up nor what footwear is appropriate.

Funny moment of the day: On the dala on the way back from Terengeru, a man hopped on and sat on the seat next to me. Of course, not smelling great like everyone here who happens to not practice armpit hygiene. He looked at me and smiled and put his arm around me! I was scared and turned around for the assurance of the volunteer coordinator who told him in Swahili that I didn't appreciate that. Dude, you stink, and thats not the way to treat a lady. Let alone an mzungu. Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment