Saturday, September 11, 2010

Today is the Day!

I've been waiting for this day to come for the past year. Not sounding like I've been concocting something evil, but I am so anxious and really totally unprepared for what is about to come. No really unprepared, I don't even have a sunhat, which according to everything I've read is apparently essential since its regularly upwards of 90 degrees.  I have no clue how to get around an airport, I don't know what to do when I have to get them to stamp my passport, I don't know what to do when applying for the visa. I bet I'm the genius everyone says I am, right?

Besides my travel woes, I've been anxious about my arrival and to be honest, survival in Tanzania. Vaccines and vials of antibiotics are taken care of. Whats more confounding is that after all the money I've spent on protecting myself from bugs being in my insides, and in preventing mosquitos from eating all my skin I've learned there is still an actual possibility I may get sick. Thanks modern medicine. So this blog will detail all of my worries, moments of grief and perhaps even a daily counting of my inflammed mosquito bites.

I am working in agriculture which undoubtedly may present anecdotes of injuries and lessons involving sharp tools and copious amounts of soil and earthworms. Stay tuned. In all seriousness, after 8 weeks of probably the most enlightening and humbling experience of my life, I will then proceed to 5 weeks in Phnom Penh, Cambodia where I will be working in HIV/AIDS prevention teaching Cambodians about measures to prevent the spread of the AIDS virus through culturally sensitive, and effective classes. I've learned we will be doing this through singing and dancing. Postings of my embarrassment and eventual finding of a hidden talent may also present themselves in this blog.

Dont forget pictures!! When I manage to get that thing in the mail I ordered all the way from China, and then have my mom mail it to me in Tanzania, I will get my pictures off of that little SD card and into some computer and share all of the beautiful vistas in Tanzania with you all. Check out my facebook too!

I hope I don't just talk to myself, so please leave comments. And I'll write back and answer all of your questions, because those of you who know me, my big mouth knows no boundaries and not even the internet can quell my gift of gab. I love you all!! See you next time when I'm sweating in an internet cafe in Arusha!

No comments:

Post a Comment