Saturday, September 25, 2010

September 16

Orientation is almost over! I can't believe soon it'll be a week that I've been here! Time has really passed quickly. Today we built a compost pile. Nothing like I've ever done before, lots and lots of rabbit poop. Then, another lecture on raised beds and how to organize companion planting. The companion planting I get, the nursery stuff I don't. Anyway, I have to make it work because tomorrow we have a demonstration and then some time next week we might have to teach something!! To Maasai! We had a similar schedule to yesterday, lunch at Mary's and another Swahili lesson.
Dinner at my homestay was interesting, my mama wasn't there and she's the only one who speaks English. So I had to wing it with the housegirl and the mama's son, Dennis who is 15 years old. He is very much into hip hop culture and sings along to all the words to Neyo songs and LOVES Jay-Z. I tried to ask him 'nipendo Jay Z'? Which means 'do you like Jay Z?'. He smiled and said yes so I responded by saying 'ahhh, ninatoka New York City, Brooklyn'. He looked confused so I think I made him confused. Which means I believe the listen to the words and music but I'm not too sure if many young people know anything about American artists. The entire meal was very interesting, the television in the dining/living room area was playing BET videos (not from cable, but there are dvd videos available throughout Arusha that have a bunch of music videos) with two people who dont really speak English yet they know all the lyrics to 'Umbrella' and even some reggaeton songs!!

I really cant wait for tomorrow, especially the trainings next week. Lets go see some Maasai!!

No comments:

Post a Comment