Monday, December 20, 2010

November 13

Its Saturday and almost a full week in Cambodia. Today I took the bus out towards Takeo Province to begin a full week at Wat Opot. The bus station isn't too far from the apartment, right in the middle of town. I was glad there was a mini mart right near the waiting area and got my fix of an iced coffee and doughnut. Here in Cambodia, iced coffee is really unique. They prepare it with black coffee, ice, and at the bottom of the glass is a layer of sweetened condensed milk. Sweetened condensed milk is a huge favorite in my house, we use it in desserts, drinks, and sometimes late at night when mom is asleep right out of the can with a spoon. I love coffee this way, and its definitely a recipe coming home with me. On the bus, I was glad I would be riding comfortably. The bus had cushioned seats, air conditioning, and really catchy Khmer music playing. As we waited to leave, there were vendors selling cooked food outside of our window; cooked veggies in rice in a tiny styrofoam container. While the bus drove down the bumpy streets to Takeo I realized how entirely different this experience was than just a week ago I was in Tanzania. The style of music playing on the radio, the customs of the people around me, the smells of the foods everyone was eating, and the views from outside of my window. It was nothing like one would see or imagine of Asia on television. On the way, the bus stopped at a presumably popular bread shop where everyone departed the bus and bought dozens of loaves of French bread. The woman and child sitting beside me offered me some. I politely refused, I didn't know if I would like it and its a bit much to take away an entire loaf of bread from a mother and child.

When we arrived at Wat Opot, one of the boys came to pick me up from the road on a moto. I hadn't ridden on motorcycle in ages and with my large duffel was afraid I'd fall off. But I was in good hands, and taken up a bumpy dirt road towards the orphanage. The other volunteers were already in and settled, and the guest house looked like much better quarters than I'd had in Tanzania so I was pretty impressed. Soon after I arrived it was lunch time, and we sat on a picnic table right here on the campus. The food was so delicious, further enhanced by the little ones running around and calling our attention as we ate. These kids are so sweet and playful and I couldn't help but laugh at how cute they are.

Every Saturday they have planned to visit the wat (Khmer word for Buddhist temple) behind the orphanage for meditation and prayer. As I made my way back to the volunteer quarters before going to the wat, some of the children were playing right outside of our door. I would soon find out that this is not uncommon. One of the little ones had been crying and the others seemed to be teasing him. I hate seeing babies cry, its one of my weaknesses and I picked him up and tossed him up in the air. He had the most adorable smile, and covered his little face to stifle his laughs while I threw him up in the air in embarrassment for his sudden change of emotions. His name was Chai, and he's also positive with HIV. He was so sweet, he did not want me to put him down while we went to the wat with the other kids. Inside of the wat, the children sat lined in rows before the Buddha crossed legged. The kids chanted in Buddhist prayer and then sang a Christian song. I looked around at their faces and they all seemed so immersed into their prayers. After the prayer at the wat, it was time for a meeting. The kids are warned against stealing and about washing up regularly. Little Chai sat next to me during the meeting, smiling and pointing to his t shirt which was dirty from playing outside.

Soon it was dinnertime and there was preparation for an event at the wat. There was traditional Khmer music playing throughout the afternoon. As night fell we headed over with a bunch of the kids, who were excitedly clutching spending money. I had no idea what celebration was in place, but it was great to see so many people in the community come out to the wat. There were prayers inside of the pagoda, but food stalls were already beginning to set up. There was an enormous screen set up for a film and when we arrived there were Khmer music videos playing and the villagers were seated on the grass watching. I decided to nosh on the snacks and noticed there was absolutely nothing recognizable. There was one woman cooking discs made of rice flour over an open fire. As they cooked the dough became flat and crispy. There was another food stall where a woman making a "sandwich" with a baguette and sweetened condensed milk and nothing else! I tried everything, and was really excited to have a pork bun. This was such a nice event, there were vendors selling fruits, nuts and the movie seemed to be a huge hit with the kids. I'd heard this event has in the past attracted gangs who've started trouble by starting fights. Thankfully, tonight when on without incidence and the kids were so happy.

As we walked around that night I realized it was refreshing to be able to walk around at night, unlike Tanzania where I was always on edge. I enjoyed another iced coffee at a local store down the road, and we all shrieked when a huge rat passed right under us. There isn't a set time to get up, however the children take their ARV's early in the morning so they will be up and running around. I loved spending time here today, and am excited for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment