Thursday, December 30, 2010

November 25

This morning the World Food Programme is holding food distribution for the community. I woke to the sounds of dozens of motos and tuk tuks being driven into the campus. About a hundred people waited outside of the offices for Partners for Compassion. Huge bags or rice, jugs of oil and salt were being distributed to families who have been affected by the HIV/AIDS virus. Apparently, the WFP doesn't do programs like this specifically pertaining to HIV/AIDS anywhere else, and through Wat Opot has a unique opportunity to give this support children and families of HIV/AIDS patients. With all of the commotion outside, the kids were all taking haven in the volunteer quarters for their regular tornado through the coloring books, dolls and toys that we have. School is again cancelled today, still due to the tragedy of the Water Festival. However, the teachers from the schoolhouse are here and the kids have lessons throughout the afternoon. The little daredevils insisted I paint their faces as cats, dogs, pigs, frogs and other animals right before school. As the bell rang and they all burst out, I hope my artwork didn't frighten any WFP people.

As some of the younger ones were in class in the schoolhouse, I gave the 6-8 crowd a couple of jump ropes to entertain themselves. I had to settle some of them down so they could share, but we all played snake together and another game they showed me involving someone's shoe and a lot of jumping over the low swinging rope making propeller like circles on the ground. I got tired and thought I'd see what some of the teenage boys were up to. What I found was picture worthy. Wat Opot's campus is beautifully spotted with a few fish ponds, which have some catfish, tilapia and various other kinds of farmed fish. When the kids catch a big one, they receive payment for their catch and it'll be served for lunch! Recently, more than 30 or so little ducklings were purchased so the kids can have duck eggs (and maybe a nice roast once in a while) to save money on purchased goods at market. One of the tilapia ponds were drained to weed out and remove any fishies that may still be lingering in its waters to make room for the ducks. Of course, to teach responsibility and good work ethic--the kids get to do it! It was great watching 15 year old Vandy, 8 year old Tee and adorable 7 year old Suvanrith and about 10 others rolling around in nothing but their tighty whities in the mud, working to pick out small fish and weeds. It didn't seem as if they were working--boys are boys and all were rolling around throwing mud pies at each other. To wash off, they jumped off into another pond full of large catfish and more weeds. I love these kids.

That night after dinner, I was set to teach English once again, today to the older boys. I wasn't sure if a few days off of school had begun showing its ugly colors, but these guys did not want to learn any English. Throughout the lesson, it was difficult to get their attention and no one wanted to speak English. I know the older boys (15 and older) all speak English fairly well, I've seen them have long conversations with Wayne. However, I had very different challenges than I do with the younger children. Some know how to read English fairly well, also. I hope to come up with some exciting methods for the lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment