Tuesday, December 28, 2010

November 17

Wednesday after lunch, I headed back over to the bead room with a volunteer to work on some jewelry. Little Kunthea was there, and as usual attached to her side. It was pretty adorable how Kunthea copied her every move. Some of the other children were there too. As I mentioned before, some of the children live here with their families, including their parents. Some are very ill and have been living on the campus assuming they will soon not be able to care for their children. One girl's mother was in the bead room with us today, and I've seen her here before. She likes to sing in Khmer, very well I can say and she often supervises the kids as they sit at the table making jewelry. Today I was surprised she looked at little Kunthea and said something to me and the other volunteer in Khmer. I dont speak the language but she was trying to tell me something and she motioned, almost barbarically by scratching the back of her head. She was obviously making fun of Kunthea and making faces at her behind her back. I was really disappointed that an adult would do this to an innocent child, and the other volunteer told her rather assertively that it was ok and under control. 

Apparently, this isn't uncommon for people in the community, and perhaps in Khmer culture to comment or ridicule a child or someone who has a condition like this. Kunthea's rash is not making much progress--it weeps pus and smells. I really related to her because when I was about 4 I also had a similar rash. I was really embarrassed and family members would comment on it. Kunthea's case is worse for obvious reasons, because she isn't under constant supervision its difficult to get her to bathe multiple times a day and keep good hygiene. Also, because she is positive I've been told her immunity won't just fight off an infection as easily as someone who is not HIV positive. It was awful to watch her face as this adult woman was making fun of her, and she had no idea. I don't hate the woman for making fun of her, because it is out of ignorance. I know she and her daughter are negative, and it's not clear why she lives here on campus. However, because she does live here, I would think she should know better. 


That afternoon, another volunteer and I decided to take a bike ride to town to see if we could find any good food in the stalls at the market. It was about a 20 minute bike ride on the main road towards Phnom Penh. As we made our way down the main road it was amazing the almost immediate transition from rural to semi-urban all with the absence of rice paddies. Suddenly there were more cars and motos and it was difficult, not to mention dangerous to pedal without compromising falling or crashing. We passed one garment factory and I was shocked to see a rickshaw and a truck holding packs of women crammed in the back. It was too far and too much to bike to the market so we retreated and settled at a shop known for its blended drinks. For 50 cents I bought a concoction of jackfruit, papaya, carrot, apple, dragonfruit, some other vegetables, sweetened condensed milk (they love that stuff here), sugar, and of course durian! After its blended and thrown in with some ice, its served in a plastic pouch wrapped in a baggie with ice and a straw is inserted in top. I was told this drink is a medicinal mix (for what ailment I'm not sure) but it was delicious. The durian stood out, but it was not unpleasant. We pedaled down the road some more, and I bought a bag of something that resembled onion rings, or french fried onions for about 30 cents. 

When we got back to Wat Opot we sat at the corner shop to get sodas and ice coffees. One of the men there, about in his early 30's teaches art to some of the older boys at the orphanage. He was very well spoken and understood a lot of English. We laughed at how intrigued he was with my hair--even saying I looked African, which I know I do not. It was pretty awful how funny he thought it was that I have thick hair, something I've never had happen to me in my life. 

At the campus, the children were getting their faces painted by two other volunteers. They were shouting to the volunteers doing the painting to draw dogs, cats, pandas, tigers and other designs. It was adorable when the kids took hold of the markers and painted each others' faces beautifully without fighting or quarrels. As we ate dinner, the kids played near the picnic table playing leapfrog and some other games I didnt recognize. Where do they learn these games from? We hear that the kids come from all different backgrounds and some have other childhoods before they come to Wat Opot. They go showing each other games, as well as teach each other games they learn at school.

After dinner, it was an English lesson which I was really excited to see. The English lessons are held in the schoolhouse on campus and usually volunteer led. Its not mandatory that the kids attend, but the lessons begin with the ringing of a bell outside of the schoolhouse. Many of the kids come running with notebooks and pens while others wander in at their own accord. Many of the kids know the alphabet and numbers, but have trouble remembering meanings of words in English. Its a challenge to teach English without knowing a few words in Khmer so of course I have to get better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment