Wednesday, December 29, 2010

November 22

Today is Monday and the start of another week at Wat Opot. I slept so soundly all this weekend, as the construction of the high rise condos across the street from us had ceased for the Water Festival. We headed to Lucky Supermarket to pick up some goodies for our days at Wat Opot and also some breakfast. Next door was the Lucky Burger and Cafe where I bought a latte and a Portuguese tart for under $4. I felt so spoiled in this moment, having every American supermarket item at my fingertips, the option of picking up the American newspapers, getting a latte and pastry, shopping for discount designer clothes--all luxuries I could have at home. I really have been deprived, but its been a good feeling.

We called a tuk tuk around noon to take us out to Takeo. There was not as much traffic this early, thankfully as congestion out to the provinces would have been a nightmare. We are both still a little shaken from last nights events and we're glad to be out of Phnom Penh for a while. When we got to the orphanage, the little ones were so excited to see us. They all ran aboard the tuk tuk and helped carry our backpacks to the volunteer house. It was pretty sad to see how they all were asking for the volunteer that left. All day they were asking where she had gone, and if she was still in Phnom Penh. I struggled in Khmer to tell them she left to America and will be back in January, but they dont understand the geography of where America is and where in relation to Cambodia. Because I love geography, I'll be sure to point out the difference on a map.

We gave little Kunthea another bath today, and the scabs have stopped weeping. She is in much better spirits and isn't wearing the kroma as often as before. I'd only been gone two days, but I really missed these kids so much. It was so cute how they shouted our names and were completely freaking out that we were back. No one was in school today, as it was the last day of the Water Festival. That night after dinner, the kids--always inventing new things to do, had a dance party inside of the cafeteria area, which has an enormous entertainment system and karaoke. Some one put the same CD of Khmer pop music playing on the bus when I'd first arrived at Wat Opot, and the kids all had their own unique ways of dancing and expressing themselves. It was adorable to see the little ones wiggling around and holding hands. Then it was time for medicine and all the little ones walked over to the dormitories, grabbed their snacks and crowded around the tv (tu ra tus in Khmer) for an hour before bed. The dormitory has a huge bright light outside of it at night, which often beckons some large lizards, crickets, frogs and other bugs from the grasses and ponds around the building. My little adventurers have invented a game in which they grab the largest of the crickets and frogs and putting them down the volunteers' shirts and in our hair. Its all in good fun, the kids know we dislike them and they don't mean to insult us--but its terribly frightening. As a good tactic with children, never let them see your fear. The first time 8 year old Tee put a cricket on my shoulder, I mustered every inclination to shriek and run away; instead picking the little bug off and setting him on the ground. I was pretty proud of myself, and hoped I'd have the same courage when it was my turn to feel the misfortune of having a baby frog down my blouse as another volunteer had tonight.

As Korean pop music videos played on the tv and we lay the kids down in their beds, it was so easy to see how similar these kids are to kids back home. It made absolutely no difference where they came from, what their stories are--they love the same things kids their age would love back home, they play the same games, and share the same curiosities, sense of humor, rebellion and wit--if not more brilliantly than kids in the states. Tomorrow I plan to teach English all alone for the first time and I want to make the lessons enjoyable--if not I wont be able to catch up with these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment